Thursday, March 31, 2016

Student of the Month Story


Who- Freshman Aurora Rochin
What- April Student of the Month
Where- Bowie High School
When- Recently
Why- Because of academic and after school excellence
How- Administration chose

    On Monday, April 4th, a new student was chosen as the April Student of the Month.

    Freshman Aurora Rochin was chosen by the Bowie Student Council for excellent performance in and out of school.  When the council chooses the new Student of the Month, they look at 3 things: grades, afterschool activities, and how the student acts with other Bowie students.

    Rochin was the clear choice to be Student of the Month. "She excelled in each requirement to be a Student of the Month and was just amazing anyway," Student Council principal Ashley Hielman said.

    We asked Rochin how it felt being the Student of the Month. "I feel great and surprised (that I was chosen), but I feel like I am going to be the worst Student of the Month ever," Rochin said.

    To be even considered for Student of the Month the student has to be involved in after school activities. "We didn't want to choose the Student of the Month solely on grades, because that's not what school is. There is more to school than just grades," Student Council Secretary Jeremy Espina.

    Rochin is active at school even after the 4:20 bell. "I do a lot of homework, tutor my friends, and do some JROTC activities after school," Rochin said.

    Being the Student of the Month is not celebrity-status, but it still is a pretty exciting award. "I was shocked and was so happy when I heard I was the new Student of the Month. I felt so proud of myself," previous Student of the Month Julie Andrews said.

    Having extra activities, or even just wanting to do other activities, makes doing your school work a lot harder. "I put schoolwork before of activities, and I motivate myself by telling myself that after I finish my homework I can do those activities I like," Rochin said.

    We always ask each new Student of the Month how they study. "I listen to music, it helps me focus. I need something in the background going on to study. I also work on schoolwork one at a time." Rochin said.



No comments:

Post a Comment